The Investment Casting Process
At KICastings, our investment casting foundry is capable of producing a wide range of complex and precision shapes. By heating the material above its melting point and pouring it into the mold, it will solidify into the required shape.
- Pattern produced – An original pattern is made from wax, plastic, 3D printing filament or another material.
- Mold preparation – A mold is manufactured from aluminum alloy, chosen for its low price, low melting point and lightweight.
- Wax model and tree assembly – Wax is injected into the alloy mold, with a tree-like structure assembled, dried and sprayed with sand.
- Sand shell and dewaxing – The mold is repeatedly coated in refractory material, before being heated and dewaxed.
- Material pouring – The material is poured into the dewaxed sand shell, which is then broken by hand or machine.
- Machining – The final investment cast part is cut, polished, and machined according to its intended purpose.
- Testing – The blank parts are tested for defects, and possibly machined further to create the final product.
The KICastings Advantage
More than just an investment casting service provider who offers many investment casting advantages, we give our customers a supportive consultation process to find the right casting solutions for projects and initiatives. Rather than using third-party contractors and unreliable outsourcing, we have our own dedicated mold shop and access to the best equipment in the business. If you’re looking for a comprehensive, one-stop casting service, KICastings is the solution for you.
If you’d like to learn more about our services or request a quote, please fill out our contact form or contact our friendly support team.